I have recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by thelittlebackpacker. I really want to thank Jodie for nominating me. Not only do I know her through the blogosphere, but we met working at a summer camp almost three years ago. I was also able to visit her and JP in London about a year and a half ago. Hopefully we will be able to meet up at some point soon, but at least I am always able to keep up with her via our blogs, twitter, and Facebook.
The Liebster Blog Award is to promote up-and-coming blogs. The word “liebster” means “dearest” in German. I am very excited to be nominated for this award. I begun my travel blog less than a year ago, and it has been keeping me quite busy ever since. Even when I am unable to travel I try my hardest to keep the new content and information available to my readers.
Rules of the Award:
-Thank the person who nominated you and link back up to his/her blog.
-Answer the 10 (or 11!) questions which are given to you by the nominator.
-Nominate other bloggers for the award who have less than 200 followers.
-Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer
-Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them.
Answers to thelittlebackpackers questions
1. What 5 things would you not leave for a trip without?
(1) macbook air — its light design makes for a perfect travel laptop.
(2) Camera — currently, I am using a TG-820. It is perfect for me considering my track records with cameras. It takes nice photos and is waterproof, drop-proof, and dust(and sand!)-proof. We are also looking into getting a go-pro for the coming travels.
(3) A good pair of shoes — Of late, I have been rocking a pair of keens for all of my travels. They even endured 330 km in 2 weeks along El Camino de Santiago with only 3 blisters – not bad!
(4) Journal — I like to keep notes of my experience, names of people and places, and just to write at night. Plus, it makes for a good place to keep card game scores!
(5) A Smile! — I love to travel. While I am on the road, there are great moments and sometimes not so great moments. Through all of it, I keep the best mentality I can. Plus, a smile is a good way to show that you are willing to meet people.
2. How did you first get into travel? Was it a random trip or did you always know you wanted to travel?
As a kid, I always wanted to travel, but I didn’t know in what capacity it would come. I figured I would work a normal job and travel when it was possible. It wasn’t until my study abroad experience in Spain that I realized travel is my passion. Upon return home, I quickly changed my major from Pre-Med to Anthropology. It has been the best decision of my life. Since then I have been on trips out west and back to Spain. Upon graduation I have plans to work at places that will allow me to live in different locations and then head to South America to travel around.
3. What country are you visiting next?
Not yet decided, but hopefully somewhere in South America
4. What is the biggest tick you completed off your bucket list this year?
I got over my fear of traveling alone and hike 330 km of El Camino de Santiago Primitivo.
5. Do you prefer hot, sunny, beachy destinations or cold, wintery, and snowy destinations?
This is a hard one. I grew up in Michigan, and we get all of the seasons here plus we have beautiful freshwater beaches. Because of this, I love to travel to either hot or cold destinations. I love the water and the snow! I am a snowboarder and cross-country skier, so cold weather means great opportunity for winter sports. At the same time, I love anything water sport related — kayaking, sailing, canoeing, swimming, tubing, wake-boarding, and I want to learn to surf! Ultimately, I am undecided on this question.
6. If you could go anywhere in the world, money no object, where would you go?
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the 2014 World Cup
7. What 5 tips would you give to someone who has never been traveling?
(1) Don’t be shy — meet people, strike up a conversation at a hostel, talk to locals at a cafe! It will make your experience that more enriching
(2) Wander — sure, you want to see all of the tourist sights, but don’t be afraid to get a little lost in a city. There is so much to find that does not make it into the tourist guides. If you really do get lost, you can always ask for help with directions
(3) Travel alone at least once — it is a good way to get over fears and learn more about yourself. Plus, you won’t be alone for long. There are plenty of people to meet along the way.
(4) Bring a camera — but do NOT get caught up taking pictures. Sometimes when your a behind the lens, you forget to just enjoy the moment. Try to do both. Take photos for memories but you also want to remember actually being there.
(5) Detach yourself from media — As a blogger, this can be really tough! When I am on the road I do not want to be on the internet 24/7. I try to only allow myself blog/twitter/facebook time when there isn’t something else I could be doing. A good time to catch up on media is while waiting at a bus station/airport or on a plane/train/bus.
8. Best travel experience? (yes you can only pick one)
Whooaa, tough question! If I have to pick one…. Living in Spain for a semester. Just being in a foreign country for long enough to not feel foreign.
9. Worst travel experience?
Bed bugs and bites after staying in a hostel
10. How do you prefer to travel? fast/slow? bus/train/car/boat?
I like to allow myself enough time in a place to get to fully get to know it, but also have time to move on to other places. I do like traveling by plane and trains, and not so much by car or bus. I haven’t had too many experiences traveling by boat yet.
Questions for my nominees:
1. What is your favorite travel thing to write about or take photos of?
2. What is your favorite season to travel in? Why?
3. What is your favorite travel electronic?
4. Where do you prefer to stay while traveling? Hotel, hostel, camping, etc…. Why?
5. Favorite travel moment? (only one!)
6. Worst travel moment?
7. If you could go anywhere (cost aside), where would you choose?
8. What inspires you to travel?
9. Have you ever volunteered while traveling? Explain
10. Where is your next travel destination?